04 January 2008

Love You, Grandpop

It's funny, the things that stick with us. If I've ever addressed you as "mate," you have my grandfather (on my father's side) to thank for it. It's a mannerism he picked up in the Navy, one that is apparently easily passed from father to son. I imagine it'll only get more prevalent as I get older.

Grandpop passed away this morning. It's not really something I feel like talking at length about right now, but I'd feel remiss if I didn't at least mention it.

His health had been deteriorating for some time. Ultimately, when the last spell meant either being put on a respirator or simply being given drugs to ease the pain, he chose the latter, and I don't blame him. His wife and children were with him at the end, and he had the comfort of having seen his grandchildren just weeks prior at Christmas and Thanksgiving. All in all, there are worse ways to go.

Take care.

Bring tea for the Tillerman,
Steak for the son,
Wine for the woman who made the rain come.

Seagulls, sing your hearts away
'Cause while the sinners sin,
The children play.

Oh, Lord, how they play and play
For that happy day.
For that happy day.


(Cat Stevens tends to help when I'm feeling somber...)

1 comment:

Mike Haubrich, FCD said...

Aaron -

Sorry about your loss. I lost my mother 2 months ago, and got to spend a few hours with her shortly before she died. It's a time I will treasure, because it was just me and her, talking.