19 March 2009

Fancy Suit

It's been a while since I've paid any attention to OneNewsNow, the online "news" presence for the conservative Christian fundamentalist American Family Association. Part of it was their garish web design with ads that kept crashing my web browser. As juicy as the ignorance in the headlines might be, it's hard to comment on an article that you can't read. Another part was simple fundie fatigue. It didn't help any when they signed on Michelle Malkin as an editorialist.

So what ends the drought? A startling admission does. ONN (not to be confused with the Onion News Network, a far superior outlet to which I have no qualms about linking) posted an article yesterday about a lesbian high school senior in a "small farming community" in Indiana who wanted to wear a tuxedo to her prom. The school initially insisted that girls wear dresses, but relented when the ACLU filed a lawsuit on the girl's behalf, much to the chagrin of local Denizens of an Idyllic Paradise of Strict Heteronormity from a more Innocent Time. Hooray!

Now, I mentioned that the girl was a lesbian, which I'm sure was very important to the AFA, but it should be irrelevant. A tuxedo is legitimate formal attire, and should be an option available to either gender regardless of their motives for choosing it. You know who looks good in the right tuxedo? Just about everybody. Seriously, I'd take a straight girl in a tuxedo over half the monstrosities that pass for prom dresses.

What's notable about the ONN article, though, apart from the standard homophobia and knee-jerk ACLU bashing, is the uniquely candid perspective of AFA Indiana executive director Micah Clark:
Clark points out parents need to be aware that there are very few standards that schools can take a stand for and win in court. He adds that it is a sign of the times when even small, rural schools in conservative areas are not immune to the onslaught of the gay agenda.
Why, yes, Mr. Clark. It is a sign of the times when bigotry can no longer hide, even in the backwaters. And I, for one, couldn't be happier.

5 comments:

Kay said...

The gay agenda?

barf.

I actually knew several straight girls we wore tuxes to prom. My school didn't have an idssue with that... they did however have a problem with the two guys who wore dresses. (not kilts, but actual long flowing prom dresses.)

Sign of the times indeed.

Anonymous said...

It's so easy to have an opinion on everything. By the way, how many proms have you actually attended? I remember now. Zero.

Sara said...

Do you remember, Anonymous? Do you?

Ben Cox said...

I can't speak for you, Aaron, but I know I went to prom. Kind of wish I hadn't, though. Boring boring boring boring. And loud. Couldn't hear right for a week.

They did, however, have a bouncy castle afterwards at the complex where the good Catholic parents herded all of their kiddos to prevent them having any sexy fun. Not altogether a bad time - although I would have just as soon had the sex.

Sara said...

I didn't go to either of my proms; decisions I do not regret. I have, however, seen proof that Aaron did go to prom. Anonymous must have a wacky memory...