06 May 2008

Flyover Country

I recently started reading James (The Amaz!ng) Randi's "Flim Flam", and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. One of my favorite bits of debunktastic trivia so far comes from the chapter on the Bermuda Triangle (p. 45). The promoters of "the Legend" apparently like to cite as an example a British York Transport flight from the Azores destined for Jamaica that went down in 1953. What they fail to mention, however, is that this flight was bound for Jamaica via Newfoundland, and that it was during this first leg of the journey that the plane crashed, 900 miles north of the Triangle!

Anyway, I mention that mostly as a lead-in to this fantastic Onion article: 30 Years Of Man's Life Disappear In Mysterious 'Kansas Rectangle'. I especially love the comments from the token skeptic towards the end.

No comments: