19 February 2008

No More Comfort

Well, that's it. I've had enough.

Perhaps you know about the blog of Ray Comfort (yes, the banana guy). If you don't, consider yourself lucky. You won't be finding a link here. Until today, I had it in my Google Reader (under the "christofascists-etc" label) as a guilty pleasure (well, a masochistic indulgence, not really a pleasure). Ray's writings are so... I'm not even sure there's an adequate word for the degree to which they are intellectually deadening in content and maddeningly smug in tone. It's a disaster from which I could not look away. It isn't even the stuff that's worth engaging with reasoned argument, though many have tried. All I could do was look on and shake my head in despair.

All that's over now; I've unsubscribed, and I'm sure my "heart pressure" will thank me for it. What did it take to push me over the edge? The words "chocolate cake." According to Ray, atheists don't like chocolate cake, because we don't make cynical comments about chocolate cake. Stupid as that sounds, it overlooks something even more important:

THE CAKE IS A LIE.

I could draw an analogy between imaginary cake and... oh, but I really don't care that much. Besides, I just finished a short stack of freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies. I'm not hungry.

No comments: